Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Lovely Blenheim Palace

The last two weeks we have been watching the dedicated “temple carpet layers” doing their best work at the temple. They flew in from working in a temple in Brazil and worked almost day and night. 



They were not able to complete the whole temple, but on the second weekend flew off to somewhere in South America to start another temple job there. They said the next shut-down they will be able to finish here in London. Tomorrow we will get to see the finished product. 

May I say that it will be wonderful to be in the temple, again? I really miss it. I am worried, though, that Niel and I should have been working out in our little gym to keep in shape. We’ll certainly be tired and sore this week. No one realizes how physical our shifts are. We often think it’s funny that we actually thought this would be an easy mission, physically. 

Not so. 

On the second week of our break, I visited a place that really caught my fancy many years ago. Blenheim Palace is the home of the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough. They let us common folk visit parts of it. Really, it is a divine treat, but one that Niel decided to forego. Alas, I went on my own. 


Blenheim Palace from a distance. Beautiful grounds.


The Duke of Marlboroughoro's Landrover


The birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill


Now, this is a piece of solid silver!


The Palace servants setting up for a large banquet

The temple sent a van with only seven of us there, and did we ever enjoy ourselves. Niel, on the other hand, spent the day on Bewl Water, fishing. He brought home four fine trout. 


Bewl Water fishing buddies. Caught a few fish, had a good visit!

I was able to see many fine paintings, tapestries and gorgeous furniture. Someday, I hope to show you a few of the pictures I took.

This last picture I sent is of a home on the way to East Grinstead. This lady must love flowers. She does this every year. It should be witnessed in person to get the total effect of how may flowers she grows. We are just glad we got to see it, again, this summer. 



Yes, this is a urinal flower pot

She happened to be out dead-heading flowers as we passed by the other day and we were able to thank her for the lovely flowers. She was really grateful we told her. Sort of made her day, I think.

I do have a good quote that I want to share with all my family and anyone else who might be interested. It came in our ward newsletter. 

Elder Bednar reminds us that “…each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint compliment each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. ‘Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.’” (D&C 64:33)

Well, that’s all for this week. We will write soon. 


Love to all:  Niel (Grumpa) and Carolee (Gran)

No comments:

Post a Comment