Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Working at the Temple Visitor's Centre

Greetings from the London Temple, which is not quite in working order right now.  As we go and spend a few hours each day in the parts of the temple not under construction, we are reminded just how much we miss being there as ordinance workers. It has been most rewarding to meet with and help all the patrons who come to the temple each day. We have worked with people of different races and colors, who don’t speak our language, who come from far countries, but who all have strong testimonies of the gospel.  I often wonder what it is like for them to believe in and support, with an arm to the square, men and women who don’t even speak their language, and that includes the British. These are truly saints of great faith and devotion.

Don't worry, Sister Morgan had not painted the seat of her bench yet.

Elders and sister missionaries bring investigator to the London Temple Visitor's Centre

Cleaning and repainting Temple garden benches

Sister Littlefield scraping, sanding, and painting

Beautiful autumn leaves in the Temple gardens

London Visitor's Centre display and testimonies of the prophets

This last week we have been helping out at the Visiting Centre. One of the center’s Missionary couples has not been feeling well. In fact, this poor Brother Terry nearly died because he thought he could tough it out with kidney stones and ended up in the hospital in kidney and other organ failure. We are filling in on their shifts in the center until he can get back on his feet. 

Visitor's Centre Missionaries for the day


Visitor's Centre missionaries. There are 4 pairs of sister missionaries who rotate in the Centre and 3 senior couples, including the directors, Elder and Sister Carpenter from SLC.


This is a picture of a first edition book of Mormon.  As you probably know, the Church had a printing press in Liverpool do their printing etc. because their own printing equipment in America had been destroyed by mobs.  The funding for this printing came from two sisters, very early converts of Wilford Woodruff and Heber C. Kimball, who were willing to give their inheritance to promote the printing of the book. Much later on an unidentified gentleman handed a very rare English fourth edition copy of the Book of Mormon to a temple security guard (found in his deceased mother's belongings). The SL Church History Dept insisted it be sent to the Church in exchange for this first edition copy, which is less rare, and is now on display at the London Temple Visitor's Centre.

While we are there at the Visiting Centre, we usually have the companionship of several Sister Missionaries. The one in the picture with us is a Sis. Wamsley from New Zealand. She is part Maori but doesn’t look like it much.  We also have another Maori, who serves with us at the temple, a Sis. Morris. I think we have included pictures of their ‘Bye’.  She is one of 24 children, where there are at least two sets of triplets (she is part of one set of triplets) and several sets of twins, all living children. She is a very humble and kind and loving sister.


Let me get up on my ‘soap-box’ for a minute now.  I really need to buy a new purse and my walking shoes are nearly worn through to the sole, but I can’t right now.  You wanna know why?  In the last week, Niel (your father) has received four tickets for illegal parking, driving through bus lanes and we don’t know how many more are going to come with speeding violations. Somehow, we need to take a course on how to drive here in England and not get ticketed by camera.  Our little Tom-Tom, which the Turner’s loaned us with the car, really does try to warn Niel when we pass by a police camera, but we have been blissfully driving around not heeding its warning.  Help!  These are expensive tickets and we are but poor missionaries, a little stupid, but getting poorer all the time. (Okay, now I feel better.)

Here is my quote for the week:

Pain stayed so long I said to him today,
“I will not have you with me anymore.”
I stamped my foot and said, “Be on your way,” 
And paused there, startled at the look he wore.
“I, who have been your friend,” he said to me, 
“I, who have been your teacher—all you know
Of understanding, love, of sympathy,
And patience, I have taught you, Shall I go?”
He spoke the truth, this strange unwelcome guest;
I watched him leave, and knew that he was wise.
He left a heart grown tender in my breast.
He left a far, clear vision in my eyes.
I dried my tears, and lifted up a song—
Even for one who’d tortured me so long.
Unknown
                                           AND

“Giving thanks make us feel good. It helps keep us in balance.”   

Good, huh?


Love to all of you, be strong and become stronger.  

Love You, 

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment