Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Farewell to dear friends and fellow temple workers

Let me see---this week we have been experiencing a phenomenon which our sons and son-in-laws and granddaughter, Ashley, have all experienced while on their missions. We are learning that missionaries come and go on a regular basis.  The hard part is that we make friends and sometimes close friends who in the end we say goodbye to, and will probably never see again. These people have enriched our lives and made our way smoother.  They have shared their knowledge and their testimonies and Dad and I are much better people for it.  On Sunday evening we had a ‘BYE’ for two couples and one sister of whom we had a great deal of contact. The sister was my trainer and, even though she was a very proper English lady when she was teaching me about the temple workings, she could come out of her shell and let her hair down and we would have a lot of fun. She is very musically inclined. I learned that she is a published author and is currently writing a novel, which I hope to read someday. I’ll let Dad tell you about the two couples because he had more to do with them. However, we will miss them here at the temple and miss our friendship more. The temple presidency and matrons are starting to move out of their apartments in the Manor and that, as well, is pulling on our heart strings.  You know, change is hard, isn’t it?

Sister Collis at her "bye"
The other big, huge event that happened this week is that I, Carolee, aka Granny, Mom actually gave Grandpa (he doesn’t like Gramps) a haircut!  One ear is a little lower than the other, but it looks like he visited the old barber shop, because I did it with clippers that we sent away for.  It doesn’t look like a scissor cut at all, from my point of view, but at least his hair is no longer doing a flip up over his ears. The last time I cut his hair, we were first married and too poor for him to pay to get it cut. (I'm waiting for a picture to be sent!)

We both have been coordinators in different parts of the temple. Another new experience. I have been coming back to our flat with my brain scrambled. There are a lot of things to remember and keep straight on this assignment. It has been a good week though. I love working with these dear sisters, and they love to give me a bad time and then tell me how good I am doing.  On Tuesday, I wore a pair of reading glasses which were bright pink. I knew that I would be in a part of the temple where not a lot of people would see me.  They are some glasses I bought to read in bed at night with. They are a little bit stronger and have a switch under each temple piece which turns on a LED light on each side. Well, I decided to show some of the sisters their special features and we almost had to empty the room we were working in.  WHAT A HIT! They were so surprised and delighted that they cried from laughing, and of course, they made me show everyone who happened by.  They all want to go to America and find some just like them, especially since I told them I have a pair in turquoise too. 

Something like these!

This week, Monday, we visited an old castle very near the temple. Its name is Hever Castle. It was built in the 1200s and was home to two of King Henry VIII’s wives. (Pictures to follow) Anne Boleyn and Ann of Cleves. It was beautifully restored from a very dilapidated condition early in the 1900s when William Waldorf Astor bought it and spent $10,000,000.00 restoring it. That was a lot of money in those days too. The Astor family lived in it and used it until the 1960s when they sold it after a minor flood. However, it was decorated with a huge amount of hand carved woodwork. Wood floors, which I am always surprised at because I think they should all be stone like the walls etc.  Small spiral stair cases and a beautiful inner courtyard to enter the house from after crossing over the moat and the front gate, complete with wooden (not iron) bars that drop down to stop the enemy from entering in. The leaded glass windows were to die for as well as the paintings of the wives of Henry VIII and the countryside around it.  It is a perfect place to bring a picnic and find a place on the lawn outside and relax.

Hever Castle

Hever landscape

Hever entrance

Carolee and the Littlefields at Hever entrance
Swans at Hever
The last thing I want to tell you is about the diversity of patrons that we have visiting the temple on any given day.  At the same time, we had a sister from Nigeria, a sister from Spain and a sister from France we were helping. We did everything in English and they read it from a card in their language. (Well, not the sister from Nigeria, she spoke English) You get to rub shoulders with people from everywhere and when they are members of the church is broadens your perspective.  I love it! I know I’ve mentioned this before, but it still amazes me. 

We love you all, thanks for your prayers and thanks for reading our ramblings.  
LOVE, G. Carolee


Dear All,

As mentioned above, we said goodbye to some fellow temple workers. One reason we have become so attached to these brothers and sisters is because they have been our mentors, trainers, fault finders, spiritual advisors etc.  In other words, they pretty much know everything about our abilities, talents and shortcomings. It has been their job to tell us nicely that we should do some things in a better  way.  One thing we have been very good about, in my opinion, is showing love and respect for all temple patrons. We want them to come back to the House of the Lord often.

Brother and sister Kelly at their "bye"
Brother Kelly, was my trainer.  His Yorkshire accent is to die for. He loves to hum to himself, laugh and smile. He has defended my inadequacies with others. He even came flying out of his chair when something appeared to be off-track. That story will have to be told in a private setting. But I love the guy and we had a very good working relationship. I shed a tear when he gave his farewell. His wife has been a real stalwart in the temple with the sisters. 
Brother and sister Morris at their "bye"
Brother and Sister Morris also said goodbye. We didn’t know them quite as well because they worked on the “B” Shift. They had a difficult time with leaving because they wanted to stay longer, but were denied that opportunity, or at least it was left up to the new temple president. More to this story but we will see what happens in months to come.

I have heard there are at least two black badge missionary couples (proselytizing couples) coming in November, along with a single sister missionary. They will be welcomed.

I think we can say we have settled in and enjoy our work. Our native English vocabulary is improving every week. 


All is well, 

Love Dad

Dusk sun rays on the temple


No comments:

Post a Comment