Thursday, August 22, 2013

English Observations...

We have had a good but not unusual week. We served on the early shift (9 am to 3 pm) in various capacities, which allowed me (Carolee) to observe many things about the English people with whom we serve. While working in the clothing department, where patrons come and rent temple clothing, I noticed that the majority of the sisters have small feet. Very seldom do they ask for a size 8, 9 or 10. I have been known to sit and compare my dainty little feet (size 10) with those around me and I can’t figure out how they can get around on such little petite feet. Of course, they don’t trip over their right foot like I do on the carpets in the temple either. The other thing I have noticed is that almost half of the people are left-handed. Really, they are, which makes me feel right at home, being a left-hander myself. And, this may be true of only the temple workers I associate with, but most of the wives are larger than their husbands. The most wonderful thing I’ve noticed is that they almost always call each other, ‘love’, ‘lovey’ or ‘darling’. Terms of endearment are used everywhere, even at the food stores by the checkers. I really think that it sets a healthy atmosphere.

I served with a sister who has dyslexia this week. She is a little older than I am and has quite a bubbly personality. I noticed that she had a hard time reading the names on the patrons cards as we were doing their work and had to have me  help her sound them out. It was then that she told me she is dyslexic and that is why she needed the help. (happily, I obliged) It brought back memories of helping our son, who was also dyslexic, through school. I told her about his serving a mission and how worried we were that he would not be able to function as well as the other missionaries because of his problem. The miracle of being a missionary came to pass in his life and he had no problems with his studying and reading while on his mission. The Lord was really blessing him and in many ways. It was such a wonderful testimony of missionary work to us as his family too.

We have begun our week with the dear French members. They absolutely filled the accommodation center on Monday the 18th. It is kind of weird when we walk down the halls, going to the temple or to do our wash etc. and we can’t understand a word they say. The parents take turns (mom first, then dad after) going to the temple, whilst the teenagers congregate in the foyers with their cell phone and ipads etc. The darling little ones act just like my grandkids on Sunday night by going in and out doors and up and down stairs, screaming, squealing, laughing, and chasing one another. They are really a lively group. The young ones who could do baptisms, did around 280 baptisms on Tuesday alone. They are really dedicated saints, who enjoy their time at the London Temple. Thankfully, the weather has been ‘brilliant’ for the kids to enjoy the temple grounds. All I can do is smile when I pass by and say ‘bon jour’.  Needless to say, this will be a very busy week. We did ask one fellow, who could speak a little English, about the new temple in Paris. He said it was being built close to Versailles and then added, quickly, don’t everyone come to see it at first, just let them (the French) enjoy it first, PLEASE. We told him we would wait to come.  He was embarrassed that he had told us that, but we got the idea.

Niel, Carolee and the Littlefields enjoying their "P-day" 
I’ve talked Dad into shooting a movie of our little car, doing its special thing. On Monday, our prep-day, we put the top down and took a spin in the countryside. It was wonderful or should I say it really was brilliant!  Thanks to the Turners for their generosity and kindness in letting us use their cute car.  We love it, too. 


Love, Grandma Carolee

No comments:

Post a Comment