Thursday, June 5, 2014

Temple Missionary Blessings from Lessons Learned


So many of the couples and single sisters with whom we serve, here in the London Temple, have been on several missions prior to this one. In fact, we are in the minority of couples who have only served one mission. That is something that is not lost on us. We have been questioning whether it would be in our future to serve another mission. Most of those who have served multiple missions simply say “we got home, tried to find something do to, and decided we might as well return to the mission field”. The Lord has blessed us and showered down His help and guidance continually as we have served in England and there may be another mission on the horizon for us. But we’re taking them one at a time for now. There are so many things that we need to repay and show our love to Him from whom our blessings flow. However, if we are called to serve again, then the Lord will find a way to make it happen. If we decide to put in papers again, it will probably be closer to home, you can bet. (I put that in for my children’s sake.) 

What, you may ask, are the blessings of coming to serve in the London Temple? The first thing I am compelled to list is: I have been fearful of living in a small apartment (flat) and being a 24/7 companion to Niel. We have, for most of our married life, been running around in different universes. He has had his responsibilities and I have had mine and our paths didn’t cross all that often. True, the Lord did prepare us a few years prior to this mission by calling Niel to be a patriarch and me as his scribe. That, in its self, has made this transition to “mission-life” much easier. I’ll admit that is was a bit sketchy for the first six months of our mission, but, after I humbled myself (my first mission-blessing), accepted a few things, watched other couples work together and we learned to compromise on a lot of other things, it has been rewarding for both of us. I like to believe that I’ve been going through a “heavenly test”. Being and living with someone who hasn’t felt that well now for over a year, with a bad knee 24/7, grumpy at times and doesn’t hear as well as he used to, has taken me to new heights. Sometimes I feel like I’m going to crack, but in reality, I’m a better person for it. Of course you are only hearing my explanation of living together as a couple missionary. Overall, we do great. Niel seems to be enjoying the ride.

The next blessing is in the refinement of serving as a T.O.W. (that means temple ordinance worker). We both have a better understanding of what the temple is all about, what our part is in the work, and what a blessing it is to be in His house for 7-9 hours almost daily. It’s hard not to be changed and made better by that experience alone. There are challenges at times in working in such close proximity with our fellow workers. We all have different personalities. We have all left our families, some of which are not always doing as well as we would hope. Leadership styles may be different from one group to the next. But yes, we are better for it.  Success here usually comes back to the principles of obedience and hard work.

Just a side-light. Saturday morning, I went over to the temple early to see if they would need help, as I had seen three big coaches (buses) pull up to the parking area. I knew that the Baptistry was already full and busy and I could probably be put to good use somewhere. I was guessing the women’s locker room would be a good place. As I was getting my temple clothes out of my locker to put on, standing there in my slip, the fire alarm went off just over my head. I had just enough time to throw them on, grab my purse, in case I needed my recommend to get back in, and rocket out of the emergency exit. I knew it wasn’t a fire-drill. We all assembled at the appropriate place in the car park. Whilst standing there, I wondered if Niel, who was still getting ready, was aware of what was going on in and outside of the temple. YUP!  




patrons and workers in white


It was kind of a false alarm. At first the fire brigade thought there was something spreading throughout the new air conditioning, but it turned out to be a smart-aleck kid who thought it would be funny to spray room deodorizer into the smoke alarm. However, we were all safe and better for the experience, until we got back into the temple and couldn’t use the original time schedule, which is our “rod” to keep us on track and in order. Let me say, it was an unusual day, but the Lord’s influence and good work by coordinators got us through it.

Other blessings? We are able to spend time reading the scriptures and Niel and I are even studying our way through Jesus the Christ and are really enjoying it. I have learned how to cut my own hair and give Niel a pretty good clipping too. We have also, learned how to go shopping for groceries TOGETHER. It involved a fair amount of bickering at first, because Niel is NOT a shopper of any kind. But now, for the most part, I shop and Niel sits down on a bench by the check stand to keep his leg from swelling while I scour the shelves for tomorrow’s meal. (Sometimes he helps, too.) It is part of his “calling” to keep track of EVERY pence and pound we spend (for tax purposes). It makes him happy and it makes me happy for him to know just how expensive it is to buy food over here, which is much more expensive than in the States.

Of course the biggest blessing of being a missionary and serving in the Lord’s House is that we are doing His work and helping bring souls back to our Father in Heaven. We are surrounded by Senior Couple Missionaries with various callings including Temple Ordinance Workers; MLS (Member Locating); YSA (Young Single Adult); CES/Institute Instruction; Mission Office (Housing, Autos, Meeting Planning, Welcoming Missionaries and making their arrangement to return home); and Leadership mentoring in Branches (Branch Presidencies). There are more as circumstances require. All of them are vital in the work. It’s called the Army of The Lord and we are very well equipped. Another blessing is that nearly every day, we hear prayers for the missionaries of the Church. (That would be us)
Needless to say, I will be adding other blessings because they are constantly coming and they are many. 

We love keeping in touch with everyone on Facebook and Face Time. I have to apologize for “liking and sharing” things under Niel’s Facebook page that are related to cooking, or other items he has no interest in. I’m trying my best to do them under my own Facebook.


Love and best wishes for the summer season. Schools out and things are happening fast. 

Have a good week to all.


Love,  
Granny (Carolee) and Grumpa (Niel)

No comments:

Post a Comment