Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Phenomenon That Is You

Sometimes to my dismay, I (Niel) have noticed physical and emotional tendencies of my children that are very familiar – because they are like my own. When my four daughters call, their voices all sound exactly the same. When my sons are stubborn and say or do things just like I would do, it is a reflection of me, even when I may cringe a little. One thing for sure. I am blessed in my ancestry and hope many positive character traits pass to my sons and daughters. 

I enjoyed these words by President James Faust, “In many ways each of us is the sum total of what our ancestors were. The virtues they had may be our virtues, their strengths our strengths, and in a way their challenges could be our challenges. Some of their traits may be our traits. I noticed a while ago that one of my great-grandsons, a toddler, seemed to have an interesting kind of a walk. My wife said, “He walks just like you do!” Now I wonder from whom I inherited this characteristic.”

“It is a joy to become acquainted with our forebears who died long ago. Each of us has a fascinating family history. Finding your ancestors can be one of the most interesting puzzles you young men and women can work on.”

“The great work of providing the saving ordinances for our kindred dead is a vital part of the threefold mission of the Church. We do this work for a purpose, which is to redeem our dead ancestors. Temple work is essential for both us and our kindred dead who are waiting for these saving ordinances to be done for them. It is essential because “we without them cannot be made perfect; neither can they without us be made perfect.” They need the saving ordinances, and we need to be sealed to them. For this reason it is important that we trace our family lines so that no one is left out.”  (James E. Faust, April 2003 Priesthood Session)

I (Carolee) have often said to my girls, when they rolled their eyes at something their Grandmother Eberhard said or did, that someday I’ll probably be just like her. I really do find myself doing or feeling like doing something that my mother would have done. It must be true that, what we are made of comes from those who preceded us. Even though I am like my mother in many ways, she always told me that I was a lot like my father. She and I weren’t always as close as we should have been because of that. I think I intimidated her. But I know with all my heart that she loved me.

My children are the best things I have in my life. They are what I live for and why I am here on earth. My Father in Heaven entrusted them to me at a time when the world is both full of evil and full of the wonderful of prophecies. They are the best “Saturday’s Warriors”. I am so proud of them and I love them so much. I also classify their spouses and my darling grandchildren with them. I’m sure your ancestors are looking down on all of you with pride and hope for the future.

Well, enough of that. I’ll have to dry my tears and swallow the lump in the throat, so that I can carry on. It’s now DECEMBER. I should be getting sizes for all the PJs I usually give to my grandkids. I really miss it, but it will come again next year. We have been on our mission for six months now, less a week, and sometimes the weeks fly by and sometimes they creep slowly. We attended the lighting of the Christmas lights and manger scene at the London Temple last night (Sunday evening). When the Temple President flipped the switch, I was expecting it to light up like Temple Square. Sadly, it didn’t and I thought to myself, boy am I spoiled. Everyone should have a Temple Square to experience. All of you at home, don’t take it for granted either. We are planning to go to London and see the lights, but they won’t be like Temple Square. It’s the feeling and the Spirit of Christmas or should I say, the Spirit of Christ that make the difference. There is no better feeling in the world.



The Britannia Ward was supposed to provide a beautiful choir for the lighting event, but only half of them made it. Their bus didn’t arrived in time and I never did see it. They must have had to turn back at some point. It’s too bad because I’m sure they had worked hard on this program. What we did hear from the few who actually made it was lovely. 


On our Monday off, we drove into East Grinstead to visit the Greenwich Mean Time line. It travels directly through our little village of East Grinstead. Some of you may remember what the Greenwich Mean Time line is from your Geography lessons in the fifth grade. I did, but know if you don’t know what we are talking about, go ahead and google it up and find out just where we were and why it is there.



0 degrees Longitude


Standing on either side of the Greenwich Mean Time line




Hope you are all getting ready for Christmas. We loved the pictures of our grandkids and their parents decorating Gingerbread houses. Boy, we were impressed with all of them!  Love you Kristy for going to all that work. 

1 comment:

  1. Love you and miss you! We know that you are blessing the lives of others, just like you have blessed ours!

    ReplyDelete