Monday, November 11, 2013

Spreading the Word and Honoring our Veterans

Spreading the Word (A thought from Niel)

As we have traveled about with visiting family members and fellow temple missionaries, opportunities have come to “Spread the Word”.  

For example while waiting for a Euro Rail departure, I approached an older English gentleman about the church. As usual, I inquired about his reason for being where he was at the time. He looked like a retired English Barrister. In fact, he was a retired English University Scholar who was in Paris to study Art History. Our discussion finally turned to why I was in the train station. I obviously had a foreign accent. I told him about our eighteen month mission in the London Surrey Temple. He knew very little, if anything about the church, and quickly turned the conversation to Americans coming to the aid of the Brits during the war, but I tried.

I sat by a beautiful young Japanese girl in Her Majesty’s Royal Theatre during the stage play Phantom of the Opera. She was only in the UK for a few weeks studying English. She was very receptive to the pass along card I handed her and I explained she might enjoy the church website at LDS.org or Mormon.org. Later, after I had finished my rather one sided conversation, Carolee told me she had probably not understood a word I had said. Who knows where that card will end up? I just wanted to plant that seed of opportunity with her.
While standing in line to see the Crown Jewels, I approached a mother and her two adult daughters. Found out they were from the Netherlands and in England just for a holiday. None were familiar with the church. But once again, my hope is they will refer to the pass along card and find an interest in the referenced web sites.

Opportunities are all around us to plant seeds and further the work we have been called to do. The grocery store checkout line has been a good one. Restaurants, merchants and the opportunities go on and on.

As a young missionary in England many years ago, it was a challenge for me to approach others about the gospel message we carry.  Now I find it satisfying and much easier. In fact, I have found a sense of urgency in this process of spreading the good word. One never knows what the end result will be of planting a thought from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have already missed opportunities because we forgot our pass along cards.  I pray these opportunities will continue and most of all that I will be prepared and take the opportunity to share.  We are all missionaries, Love Dad and Granddad 


Hello to all! (Another word from Carolee)

Honoring our Veterans

We are anxiously awaiting our return to temple work this Tuesday. This will truly be an interesting week. Hope we live through it. We have our assignments and are ready to fill them. 

We have experienced something, here in England, that we have never experienced before in the states. At home, we celebrate Thanksgiving through the whole month of November, but here, they have no Thanksgiving, but they honor and celebrate their veterans ALL MONTH. Everyone wears poppies, sold by veterans and many volunteers who want to contribute and help. I remember buying poppies to wear in America from the veterans and I wonder if they do it anymore. It is really a big thing here. 



In our Sacrament Meeting, last Sunday, the Crawley Ward gave a salute to the veterans. The whole meeting was impressive. 

Here is a poem, read by Sis. Alison Hunt. It touched me, because I’m a mom.

"With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of spirit, 
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
 And a glory that shines upon our tears.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
 Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
 Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. They mingle not with laughing comrades again;
 They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
 They sleep beyond England's foam.
But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night; As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust, 
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
 As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain."                                                                                                                                                                      
                                    Robert Laurence Binyon

We sang Onward Christian Soldiers, God Save the Queen and God Be With You ‘Til We Meet Again, among other hymns, some of which weren’t in our hymn book, but still, everyone knew them, even the children.  Many scriptures from the standard works were read and more poems.  

Jerusalem
And did those feet in ancient time.
 Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God,
 On England’s pleasant pastures seen?

 And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here, 
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

 Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
 Bring me my Arrows of desire:
 Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
 Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
 Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
 In England’s green & pleasant Land
(William Blake)


(Sis. Danielle Pilgrim, a sister temple worker, told us in Relief Society that Flanders Field is located in Belgium, where she is from.) Now you know why we were poppies for Veteran’s Day.

The Sacrament Meeting finished with the bishop, who very ably brought in and taught us a gospel message. We finished with 2 full minutes of silence. It was very touching and we were honored to show our appreciation for all those who have fought for our freedoms.  I think the reason why the English are more involved with this celebration is because of the price they paid during the wars with all the bombings and destruction to their country. They experienced more than we as American can even imagine. 

Anyway, we want all of our family and loved ones to know how much has been given and sacrificed for them and their futures. That is why we need to fight for what is right and true about the country God gave to us as a chosen land, choice above all others.  


Till we meet again, yours with love: 

Mom, Carolee and Dad, Niel

No comments:

Post a Comment