Saturday, October 19, 2013

Weekly messages from gma and gpa....

Hello everyone. We hope you are well and happy (most of the time). As I am writing this, it is Monday night, raining outside (what else is new), and I’m trying to put off the last of the cleaning of our old flat, #52.  There is just a small amount to do, the shower, cupboards and the refrigerator. Is that a small amount? I have to keep the shower door open in order to bend over and scrub them and the walls clean and the refrigerator is below the countertop, so that means a lot of bending over or being on my knees. Being on my knees isn’t too bad, but the hard part is getting up, I need a crane and a winch.
On Sunday, we visited the East Grinstead Ward again. We really enjoy the feeling there and the ward members are very friendly, especially if you are wearing a missionary badge. In Relief Society, we had an interesting discussion about what things we are going to be called upon to do in the coming years, as Church members and as missionary members. We separated into groups to discuss each different topic the teacher gave us and I felt that our topic was extremely insightful. It talked about how we as member missionaries will have to do a lot of sacrificing in the latter days to get the word out to the world. It reminded me of a talk given by Elder Robert Hales last year in October. He said that 30 years ago he was giving a speech at BYU. In the speech, he described the dividing line between the Church and the world. He said it was like we, as Latter-day Saints were on one side of the pulpit and the world was on the other side, with about two feet separating us. He then said that today, 30 years later, the Church was still on one side of the pulpit, but the world is across the room, out the door and around the corner. There really is a great divide between how we believe and act and how the world functions today and therefore, we will have to really do a lot of sacrificing to bring the two closer. It will be a monumental task for those who have been sent to the earth at this time. But the Lord needs us to do it. There is no question about that. How many of us are ready and willing to dig in and get started?  Let me give you a quote from one of my little “quote books”.
                President Spencer W. Kimball once said, “There will come a time when everyone will have to lay everything on the altar of sacrifice.”  Brother John Hafen added to this that everyone who is willing to offer their all in sacrifice and, do it willingly, will find in the end that what they thought was sacrifice really isn’t.
I guess what I’m trying to say is, sacrificing, as we are doing by being here, really hasn’t been as difficult as we thought it would be. It has been an absolute joy and privilege to serve these people in England. Our work in the temple has helped and guided us to become truly better people. The Lord really does bless those who are willing to do His will. So, don’t be afraid to extend a friendly handshake to a non-member or share the comforting knowledge of the Plan of Salvation with those who might be floundering in life. We have our foundation and testimony and there are so many in the world who are floating around without direction or an anchor. What we have is so precious, peace, happiness, joy and I could go on forever, but you know what I mean. Get ready to do a little sacrificing in behalf of the Lord and see what comes back. Plant seeds, be a good example and the blessings will come showering down on you.  Oh, that reminds me, I have a shower to clean, don’t I.
Well, it’s now Friday and many things have taken place since Monday. We managed to get to Bucklebury and Highclere (kind of) and the Reading Records Office. Then, I finished cleaning good ole #52 and turned the keys in. Let me tell you, it is cleaner now than when we first moved in and I have the bad back to prove it.  Today, we had a really nice trip down to and little town called Titchfield and then went up to Winchester to the records office there. On both trips, the villages and churches and countryside we saw was absolutely breath-taking. We loved every minute of it.  Niel was very impressed with how completely dedicated the English are in keeping their records. It was interesting to look at all the micro fiches and record books.  However, I really struck out. Do these people really want me to find them? I have my doubts because I tried everything I could think of and had the people at the records office running hither and yon to assist me, but, alas, to no avail. I’ll keep trying though. The Littlefield’s, who went with us, were extremely successful. He found one name and when he put that name into the Family Search program on his computer it opened up the great divide. He is now, in some of his lines, into the dark ages. Only because his lines go into royalty and the Church has done a remarkable job of connecting all the royals together. It is really mind-boggling. I hope you enjoy the pictures that we sent and we will be sending more. Sadly, Highclere Castle is only open for two months of the year. I guess they make enough money in those two months to support their castle for the rest of the year. We only had our iphones to take pictures from afar. Our good camera with the zoom lens is waiting for the cables we left home to come with Jill and Steven soon. My future in family research may be in learning to read German script.
We are sorry to be so late with this letter. I’ll do better next week.  (That sounds like what I say every month with my visiting teaching!)
Love to all, be good and kind to one another.                                                           
Love: Mom, Carolee

Dear All,
I think we can see the end of the temple construction. During the shut-down, someone detected a natural gas leak. They decided to replace the line from the temple to the street. In doing so, the backhoe severed the main electrical feed to the temple and surrounding businesses and homes. Could have been a tragedy but fortunately no one was injured or killed. There were sparks and smoke. The temple was a topic of negative conversation by those without power, I’m sure. It took them a couple of days to repair the line. Meanwhile there was a dark day and night and then the sound of a large generator. We also have not had hot water as the gas line is still under repair. But we’ll make it. By the way, the UK must not have a “Blue Stake” system.
I have been putting the miles on Ian’s and Maggie’s car chauffeuring your mother and others to their desired destinations. I’m ready to hang up the car keys and return to temple work. We are preparing for Jill and Steven’s arrival. Hope we can show them a good time.  It will be so good to see someone from home.
Love and Appreciation to you all,  Dad and Granddad

No comments:

Post a Comment